Tuesday, February 2, 2010

sandbox

I have been so excited about getting the boys a sandbox. They love to play with rice in our old plastic swimming pool, but that kind of play isn't working out so well anymore: in the house, the rice throwing is just too intense for me to deal with, and outside, cleaning up all that grain is just a hassle.

"fwow!" squeals Max as he throws the rice...


Last summer, my parents got one of those turtle sandboxes, so I trolled craigslist until I found one.

july - the boys were 11 months old


Sadly, it turned out to be a flop. It's way too small, and they're just too young to take turns being inside the box - this new toy is just too exciting for that. When they both sit in it, they can barely access the sand.


Plus, Shoghi acted like it was water, and kept diving in - mouth first. I know it's normal, and a little sand in the mouth doesn't freak me out, but gobs of it? Making him choke? It was gross, and disturbing. I know he'll stop doing it after the novelty wears off, but that day it just overwhelmed me.

As quickly as the box got set up, it got fenced off.


I think the only solution is to get another one - you just have to roll with where they are, and I know the sand play will be gret for them. They will also benefit from each having his own play space. Just because they shared my womb doesn't mean they have to share everything!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you describe Shoghi's diving into the sand as "gross, and disturbing." LOL! I'm sorry, I'm sure it wasn't funny to be there and see him do it...

    According to Murphy's Law, you know what will happen if you get another, right? They'll both want to be in the one the other one's in! ;-) At least in our house, two identical toys are still not good enough - they both want the same exact one. Because the one "he" or "she" has must be better. :-)

    ReplyDelete