Thursday, August 27, 2009

harvesting

Since returning to Portland, Laurie and I have been in a little bit of a mad dash to gather up some more of the amazing fruits of the Pacific Northwest for our winter pantry. Since we almost completely filled our freezer with blueberries, marionberries, and blackberries in June and July, we had to expand our reach and try out canning. On Tuesday, we met after work and took the boys out to Sauvie Island Farm to pick basil and late season blackberries.

While Laurie and I took turns picking and watching the boys, they reached for every berry at arm's length, munching on berries in all stages of ripeness. They had fun, and so did we!




While we were out there, we also got 20 pounds of peaches, and a bunch of bartlett pears. Yesterday we combined our efforts and juggled watching the boys with putting up the goods. We did 9 pints of pesto and 7 quarts of peaches in a light syrup.


Aside from how hard it was to do this with two toddlers under foot, I was impressed at how quickly we managed to get it all done. The canning itself was as easy as Korin has always promised.

The boys absolutely love the pesto, and will gobble down an entire peach if given the opportinuty. After having fresh pesto with penne last night for dinner, the boys and I had scrambled eggs with pesto and tomatoes this morning for breakfast. I just love that they are into eating such great foods!!


3 comments:

  1. what amazing experiences you are having with theboys and what bounty! the pictures are good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is just precious! So the boys eat pasta? How many teeth do they have? I've been hesitant to give mine pasta because I'm not sure they can break it up with their gums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it GET any cuter than twin babies munching on fruit. I smile every time my babies are going at it! :D Thanks for the grin!

    ReplyDelete