Sunday, June 6, 2010

all summer in a day



All this rain. Day after day. A break, a brief break, and then... more rain.

OK, I know. We in the PNW should be prepared for this. All the green, all the gorgeous moss that hangs from these grand Ponderosa pine trees... it wouldn't be here but for the rain.



If I didn't have kids, I probably wouldn't care. I'd curl up with a nice book and a warm cuppa and enjoy the humid, saturated air. But with kids? With two toddlers??? It's insane. Crazy. Impossible to tolerate.


Yesterday we had a day of sunshine, and I couldn't help but be transported back to my junior high days, when we read All Summer in a Day. Did you read it, too? Or see the film? The children pouring out of the barracks, soaking up the sun for the one day it would shine in their, what, lifetime? It has felt like that this spring.




Although, I will say, I am proud to send my boys out in their rain pants and raincoats to romp in our backyard jungle even when it is raining.

the day after the sun...

blossoms blooming and melting...

Shoghi, as the rain suddenly falls:

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get some more sunny days up there! Does it rain all summer too or will it slow down a little?

    (Portland is many times greener than San Diego, btw!)

    Even though the weather was nice we went to an indoor playplace yesterday. It was really fun - the kids loved it. (And I went down the slide backwards - fun!) Might be good for some rainy days but - it would be expensive to do regularly. And people say a lot of germs are spread there...

    ReplyDelete